Post-Graduate Semester Application in Fiction, Poetry, or Creative Nonfiction
MFA Program for Writers alumni who have completed the degree at least one year prior to the application are eligible to apply for a post-graduate semester in poetry, fiction, or creative non-fiction. Appropriate projects might include the completion of a book-length manuscript, new work that represents a radical departure in one’s prior aesthetic, the undertaking of a new form, or the exploration of another genre.
Accepted applicants participate fully in the residency and work with a member of that semester's faculty for a 6-exchange term.
Candidates should apply by September 15 for the January semester, or March 15 for the July semester. The application requires:
- the completed application form
- a processing fee of $75
- a writing sample (10 pages of poetry, or 25 pages of prose, in the proposed genre);
- a personal essay describing the project, its goals and challenges, as well as how the student hopes to use faculty resources to address them in the creative and analytical work;
- a short analytical essay (now familiar to the applicant as an “annotation”) focusing on an issue of craft pertinent to his/her own work;
- one recommendation from a former Program supervisor.
No transcript is necessary. Applications will be reviewed by the Director and the faculty members of the Admissions Team for the relevant semester. A limited number of applicants will be accepted for any specific semester, and admission may not be deferred except by the Program.
Post-graduate students will be responsible for full fees (currently $9,400 tuition, $564 residency), and will not be eligible for financial aid.